NUJ action at The Argus newspaper in Brighton, UK.
Tuesday, 30 November 2010
Action December 7 and 8
The chapel has voted to take further strike action on Tuesday, December 7 and Wednesday, December 8 unless the company is willing to meet NUJ reps and meaningfully address members' concerns.
Why not Tim? I guess I am just thinking it would hit the company in the pocket which is where they only have feelings? Do you think it would effect public support then or something?
Yep, that's pretty much it I guess. It's a classic contradiction: by protesting against the way the company is damaging the long-term future of the paper, we damage its short-term profits and therefore, arguably, its future. That's not something I take a "good/bad" view on, but the objective isn't actually to damage profits, it's to protest and, if at all possible, achieve change.
I agree with anonymous, Newsquest/Gannett damage the short and long term future of the Argus and every other paper they own every day by cutting jobs etc and generally treating their staff and readers with complete contempt. It's about time everyone stood up and told them it's not good enough!...good luck everyone.
Good luck everyone. Be even better if the paper didn't go out at all though.
ReplyDeleteWould it, really? I'm not sure.
ReplyDeleteWhy not Tim? I guess I am just thinking it would hit the company in the pocket which is where they only have feelings? Do you think it would effect public support then or something?
ReplyDeleteYep, that's pretty much it I guess. It's a classic contradiction: by protesting against the way the company is damaging the long-term future of the paper, we damage its short-term profits and therefore, arguably, its future. That's not something I take a "good/bad" view on, but the objective isn't actually to damage profits, it's to protest and, if at all possible, achieve change.
ReplyDeleteI agree with anonymous, Newsquest/Gannett damage the short and long term future of the Argus and every other paper they own every day by cutting jobs etc and generally treating their staff and readers with complete contempt. It's about time everyone stood up and told them it's not good enough!...good luck everyone.
ReplyDelete